Acadia National Park is located in three different areas- Isle au Haut, Schoodic Peninsula in Winter Harbor, and the most visited and best known location, on Mount Desert Island. Acadia’s wildest adventures range from mountain climbing ocean cliffs and difficult hikes that offer amazing views to winter camping and skijoring beautiful backcountry trails.
DeLorme Maps: 9, 16, 17
Facilities: Modern outhouses
Roads: Paved (Park Loop Road) & unpaved (Carriage Roads)
Public Transportation: Yes (the free Island Explorer Bus)
Pets: Yes, some restrictions
Cellphone Service: Yes
Mileage: Park Loop Road – 27 miles
Camping, Hiking, Boating, Canoeing, Kayaking, Horseback Riding, Biking, Fishing, Ice Fishing, Swimming, Motorcycling, Wildlife Watching, Sightseeing, Cross-Country Skiing, Snowshoeing, Snowmobiling, Winter Camping
Mountain Climbing Locations:
- Otter Cliff: 60 foot sea cliffs, crack and face climbing, rappel access, routes up to 5.12
- South Wall (Champlain): 3-pitch routes to 5.12, good corners and thin cracks
- Central Slabs: 1-pitch routes, good beginner routes, routes to 5.10
- South Bubble: 1- to 3-pitch routes, some friction climbing, good beginner routes
- Great Head: high-grade sea cliff climbing, rappel access, pay attention to tides and weather on this route
- Very Easy Trails:
- Bar Harbor Shore Path
- Wonderland Trail
- Easy Trails:
- Bar Island
- Great Meadow Loop
- Ocean Path
- Schooner Head Trail
- Ship Harbor Trail
- Moderate Trails:
- Champlain North Ridge Trail
- Beech Mountain Trail
- Bubbles Divide Trail
- Cadillac North Ridge Trail
- Gorham Mountain Trail
- Great Head Trail
- Long Pond Trail
- Jordan Pond Path
- Strenuous Trails
- Acadia Mountain Trail
- Beehive Trail
- Beachcroft Path
- Cadillac South Ridge Trail
- Dorr Mountain
- Perpendicular Trail
- Precipice Trail to Orange & Black Trail
- Sargent Mountain
WHEN TO VISIT
Acadia National Park is open year round. Visit the website for updated information on road closures and campsite availability dates.
- Mount Desert Island Park Look Road Map
- Mount Desert Island Carriage Trails Map
- Mount Desert Island Snowmobiling Routes Map
- Mount Desert Island Skiing Routes Map
- Isle au Haut Map
Acadia National Park – Official website for Acadia National Park
Basic Park Information – Fees, current conditions and pet policy
Island Explorer Bus – Free bus service operating June 23 through Columbus Day on Mount Desert Island.
Campgrounds – List of campgrounds and reservation service.
Places to Go – Including information about the Bass Head Harbor Lighthouse (the only lighthouse on Mount Desert Island), Cadillac Mountain, Isle au Haut, Park Loop Road, Schoodic Peninsula, Wild Gardens of Acadia and Visitor Centers.
Outdoor Activities – Information on bicycling, birdwatching, boating, climbing, the EarthCache Program, fishing, hiking, horseback riding, leaf peeping, picnicking, scenic drives, swimming, tidepooling and winter activities.
Winter Activities – Information about cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, scenic winter drives, snowmobiling, winter hiking, ice fishing and winter camping.
Friends of Acadia – Excellent website with information about winter trails, grooming statuses and more.
Nearby Attractions – Information about Federal Parks, Wildlife Refuges and State Parks
PO Box 177
Bar Harbor, ME 04609